Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Poetry Week

This week for poetry I'm reading Serafina's Promise. So far it's really good! It's about a young Haitian girl and her struggles following the earthquake. Serafina has many goals, plans, and dreams for her life ahead but she faces many challenges along the way to making those dreams become a reality. This book really reminded me and showed me additional struggles that people in poverty face every day. Things that seem like simple every day tasks to middle-class people, are a daily fight for people in poverty.


http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/512m5OQtp0L.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you are liking your poetry pick! I felt the same way about my book by Shel Silverstein. There were a lot of reminders and messages that I pulled out of the poems and at the same time it was a nice distraction from all of the dramatic and long novels that we have been reading. This book definitely sounds like a good pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katelyn, I am also reading Serafina's Promise for my poetry book. I also love this writing style, and it is a nice change of pace from reading longer novels. I like this book because it is written from Serafina's perspective. It is very interesting to see poverty through the eyes of a child. Her hope and goals are very inspiring to read.

    ReplyDelete